Month of Prep for November

Today starts my month of slowly prepping for NaNoWriMo.  I have to not only get myself ready, but plan some events for the Helena area writers.  I figure if I do a little every day/week, then I will be ready to hit the ground running, or rather pound the keyboard steadily, come November.

One of the important things, beyond getting my homework done to the point I am not up to my eyeballs in work for school, is my "novel notebook".  I have found I am not a 'pantster' and just wing it for the month.  I need some structure.  So I am creating my notebook with my outline of the book and other details.  And this is my inspiration for this year's NaNoWriMo writing....


















This pile of 'junk' is what I have pulled out of books over the past year and saved.  Bookmarks, sure, but postcards, ticket stubs, notes, scrapes of paper, tons of ephemera.  Problem is (if this can be considered a problem) it has given me two different scenarios to write about.

The first one is to pull a piece out of the pile and write the story behind that piece of paper.  Who owned it, why was it there, what was happening in that person's life.  The other idea is set in Victorian England in a reading room, or private library (public libraries were just getting started then) with a woman who is helping her father run the library.  Only problem is, she has the ability to touch a something and 'read' who owned it and what they were doing when they touched the paper.  Only problem is, she has now discovered some secrets she should know about.

Right now I'm leaning toward the latter storyline.  We shall see what happens.  So this month I want to put together my notebook, create a faux cover for my book and find a title for it, and create a music playlist to go along with the book.  Those are my October writing goals and NaNoWriMo prep.  Let's see what I have come the 31st of the month.

Comments

  1. Someday you'll have to teach me how to not be a 'pantser' and plan my novel ahead of time...:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts