56 Hours and 2400 Miles - Part I

At 12:22 a.m. last Thursday, I pulled out of the driveway to begin my drive down to Arizona to pick up Savvy to bring her back to live in Montana.  I had a very short window of time for this endeavor, especially since Texter was at home on pain meds for an ovarian cyst.

I did stop and take a bit of a nap on my way out.  I wasn't quite as awake as I thought I was after only a couple of hours of sleep the night before.  My breakfast at 7:00 a.m. was two monster tacos from Jack-in-the-Box, a treat I have to drive at least 4 hours to Idaho Falls to get.


Later that day, my lunch/dinner was a second round of monster tacos.  I know there is no redeeming value in frozen, deep-fried 'meat' (using that term loosely) with a slice of plastic cheese, shredded iceberg lettuce and a bit of salsa, but I love them.


On of the sights that I pass on my way to/from Arizona (if driving 89, rather than 89A) is Lake Powell.  The first time we went by I was astounded by the vastness of this lake and the land it occupies.  This part of the country is made for panoramic views.  The above picture was from June, 2013.

Now, a year later, I make the same journey, pass the same points.  This time, however, the lake looked a little more empty, part of the drought in this part of the country.


The above is a picture taken of most of the Lake Powell area from one of the viewing points overlooking the lake, the same spot from last year.  However, this year I put together a larger panoramic view.

But my spot wasn't long, I still had miles to go.  I did make a second stop at a rock shop near Bryce Canyon (pass there 3 times now and haven't stopped).  Every time I go by there are these huge chunks of colored 'glass' sitting out.  I just had to know what they were and this trip I was going by at a time the shops were open.  And that's just what they are, colored glass from "factories back East".
Didn't pick up any glass, but did pick up a couple of other things on my stops to/from Arizona, which I will share later.

So, with the completion of listening to The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (J.K. Rowling) and  Scones and Bones by Laura Childs (finished as I got there), I safely arrived in San Tan Valley, Arizona and promptly crawled into bed and slept for about 5 hours.  

Tomorrow, more of the story.....

Comments

Popular Posts