The Honey Moon Is Over

So today, June 13 at 12:11 am EDT,  the "Honey Moon" was suppose to be really spectacular and a bit rare. (Another name for the June full moon is Strawberry Moon.) I decided I would try and get some pictures of this full moon and was somewhat successful.  I wanted to try and get pictures just as it was raising, but Lady K distracted me from the time, but I did get this picture about about 9:45 p.m. my time.


As you can see the sky was relatively clear and I got a fairly good shot of the full moon with just a wisp of clouds for texture.

Now, earlier in the day, I posted on Facebook that Helena should change it's name to Moses because all the rain in the forecast makes it just to the edge of town and then splits and goes on either side of us.  That said, about 1:00 a.m. I get up to open up the window more because I am hot.  And I see in the west (where most of our weather comes from) this line of white which was the leading edge of a cloud bank. It was actually kind of creepy, this line of bright white in the dark, dark blue of the sky.  And off in the distance I see flashes of lightning.  I sit there and watch for a few minutes and then climb back into bed.

About 2:20 a.m. I hear the first 'pings' of this....


Yup.  Hail.  Lots and lots of pea-sized hail.  On my tomato plants.  Which just starting showing baby tomatoes.  Grrrrr.......

Even Texter was up and out there looking out the window and door with me at the hail.  The hail lasted about 10 minutes and then we got several minutes of just rain.  Actually, by Helena standards, it was a long rainstorm.  Texter's first response was "How is she sleeping through this?" and went and checked on Lady K (who is in my bed).  And this is from the kid who slept through hurricanes!

Off to bed we both go again.  Then about 4:00 a.m. I get up to catch this picture of the full moon setting behind the clouds.


And when I work up at 6:00 a.m. the sun was rising in the east, but to the west there was a huge, black cloud and we just got through with a bit of a thunderstorm.  Those all day thunderstorms from back east don't happen here.  If it last 15-20 minutes, it's a long time.  

Today I had plans to go gardening, but it might be a washout.  Haven't decided yet.  Oh, hail!

Comments

Popular Posts